Live Below the Line - Day Two

Thanks for coming back!  Today was more difficult, and I was pretty hungry in the afternoon. Well, I wasn't really hungry, I just wanted something sweet.  I bought Ella 50p worth of jellybeans, and it took all my resolve not to eat one (even liquorice, and I hate that flavour).  The banana in my porridge and handful of grapes is all the sweet we get, so that's what I struggle with.

Going places is really hard.  Normally, I just have coffee and biscuits at our playgroup/bible study and don't bat an eyelash, but with this week, I really have to think about everything I eat and drink.  My mom always said a glass of water can help if you're hungry, so this afternoon, I drank about 4 pints of water!

So here's what we ate today:

Breakfast: Porridge with banana and cup of black tea


 Lunch: Pasta with olive oil, basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar

Dinner: Lentil Dhal with onions


I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's lunch, which is the carrot soup again with flatbreads.  I took photos as I made them so you can do it.  Again, these are dead easy and really delicious.  Why buy pitas and pay 50p for 6, when you can make 8 for 6p!

 First, measure out 500g of plain flour along with 1/2 a packet of dry instant yeast and a pinch or two of salt.

Make a little well in the middle of the flour and add 200ml of warm water.  Not tepid, but warm enough that it will activate the yeast. Use your hand to mix it all together.  It will be really sticky and dry at first.  If there's a lot of flour at the bottom, add some more warm water a splash at a time until all the flour incorporates together.

Knead the mixture for about five minutes.  Don't worry about washing your hands and don't add any more flour.  All the stickiness will come off while you are kneading.

 The mixture will become shiny and sort of light.  Put it in a warm place covered with a dish towel and leave until it has doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
It will look like this!
 Cut the dough into 8 pieces.  Some people weight it out for evenness, but it's not really necessary here.
 Roll it out until it's the thickness of a pound coin.  Heat a dry frying pan and put the dough in.  When it bubbles up a bit, check for how brown you like it, then flip it over and cook for another 30 seconds.
Repeat and Voila! Flatbreads.

Comments

Popular Posts