Pregnancy is dreamy...

Okay, I haven't posted since September. It's now November! What happened to October? I really don't know, other than it FLEW by.

I'm in my third trimester, officially. What does this mean?

- I can't get out of bed or off the couch without grunting.
- We've had our antenatal/birthing class (more on this later).
- I am less motivated than ever to do anything other than take a nap.
- I have done my transatlantic travelling for the duration of the pregnancy.
- I AM FREAKING OUT!

No, I'm not really freaking out, but my brain is, if my dreams are any indication. According to "What to Expect When You're Expecting," it's perfectly normal to have really freaky dreams during pregnancy. Apparently, it's your brain's way of ironing out all the worries and fears you have about the upcoming baby without making you too crazy. Also, because I'm getting up a zillion times every night (grunting and rolling awkwardly out of the bed), I have better recall since my REM sleep isn't as deep as it normally is.

Here's a sampling of my recent favourites, along with a fun dream dictionary analysis from online:

Whazzzup? I'm in your dreams.

The Ostrich/Hurricane Nightmare - I had gone to bed early since I was really tired, and Josh stayed up to watch a movie. About an hour and a half later, I woke up sweaty and frightened because of this awful nightmare. I made Josh get in bed and cuddle me it was so scary, and I do NOT like cuddling normally. I dreamed that I had a menagerie/zoo thing in my Granny's backyard, where I kept lots of animals. My ostrich escaped during a massive hurricane, and when I tried to rescue it, a giant, Godzilla-sized ostrich came out of the eye of the hurricane and was attacking me and my normal-sized ostrich. Then, the hurricane sort of absorbed us, and I woke up.

Analysis: To see an ostrich in your dream suggests that you are not facing reality. You are in denial about something and living in a world of your own. Perhaps, there is a situation that you are unwilling to accept.

To see a hurricane in your dream indicates sudden unexpected changes occurring in your life. You may be experiencing some destructive and powerful emotions.To dream that you are swept up in a hurricane suggests that both your mental and emotional forces are building up inside and making themselves known. You may be literally consumed by your emotions. Alternatively, the dream indicates that you are being pressured and pushed against your will toward something you do not want to do.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm not very excited about giving birth, and I don't really want to do it, but I don't have much choice about it now, do I?


The Oddball Haircut One - I dreamed that Mr. T. and my friend Joanna from college were trying to convince me to cut my hair, specifically getting bangs. They had pictures from high school which made them look glamorous and hipster-y, which were obviously photoshopped, as I looked awful with bangs in high school. Also, there was a pie chart involved, but I can't remember what it was about.
See, Joanna, they're all stringy and flat, and this was probably the best they ever looked!

Analysis: They didn't have an analysis for Joanna, Mr. T., or pie charts, but here's what they said about hair: To dream that someone is giving you a haircut suggests that you are experiencing a decreased sense of power. Alternatively, your dream haircut symbolizes a fresh start. You are shedding off some unwanted aspect of yourself.

I'm not sure about this one, other than the decreased sense of power. One thing no one tells you about pregnancy that is really strange, especially if you are self-possessed or self-controlled, is that something is happening to your body and in your body that you don't have any control over. Bodily autonomy goes out the window, as autonomy suggests there's only one person in the body, and now there are two!

I've also had other dreams, about giving birth to a robot, Ernie getting lost, and many other bizarre things. Weirdly, I haven't dreamed at all about what the baby will be like or of the baby. Apparently, that's the most common thing to dream about during pregnancy.

I think that dreams are actually really cool. There are a lot of folks in the Bible that have prophetic dreams, and I've known a few people who have had these types of dreams come true as well. However, I certainly hope that I am not eaten by a giant ostrich-bearing hurricane any time soon.

Comments

Popular Posts